Did you know that Shilajit has been referred to as the "Destroyer of Weakness" in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries? This complex mixture of organic and inorganic compounds is commonly used in Ayurveda to promote health and longevity. Found in Nepal and northern India, it's consumed with milk and used by the Sherpas, known for its exceptional strength and longevity. Discover more about this fascinating substance and its benefits here.
What is Shilajit?
"Shilajit" is derived from the Sanskrit word "shilajatu," which means "rock invincible." This name refers to the substance's ability to survive extreme conditions and maintain its potency over time. Shilajit has been used for centuries, over 3,000 years, as a "rasayana," a term used in Ayurveda to describe substances that promote health and longevity.
It is composed of organic plant material, minerals, and other compounds and formed over millions of years from the slow decomposition of plant matter in the rocks of the Himalayan and Altai mountains.
The Formation & Extraction of Shilajit
Shilajit is a dark brown, a tar-like substance often found in India, Nepal, Bhutan, & Tibet mountains. It is formed by the pressure exerted on plant matter by the weight of the mountains. When the temperature rises during the summer months, the shilajit oozes out of the cracks & fissures in the rocks.
Composition of Shilajit
Shilajit is composed of humus & organic plant material that has been compressed & preserved over time. The primary constituents of Shilajit include:
1. Fulvic acid is an organic acid known for its antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Humic acid is another type of organic acid believed to have various health benefits, including its ability to improve gut health.
3. Shilajit contains many minerals, including iron, magnesium, calcium, & zinc.
4. Dibenzo-alpha-pyrones are organic compounds that are believed to have anti-inflammatory & anti-viral properties.
5. Triterpenes are naturally occurring compounds that have been shown to have various health benefits, including their ability to improve cognitive function & boost the immune system.
The exact composition of Shilajit can vary depending on the geographic location where it is found & the specific conditions under which it was formed.
Organic Compounds in Shilajit
In addition to its mineral content, shilajit contains a range of other organic compounds, including amino acids, fatty acids, & plant sterols. Key organic compounds found in Shilajit include:
- Amino acids: Shilajit contains various amino acids essential for protein synthesis & other cellular processes. Some amino acids in Shilajit include alanine, glycine, & proline.
- Fatty acids: Shilajit also contains a range of fatty acids, including myristic acid, oleic acid, & linoleic acid. These are important for maintaining healthy cell membranes & regulating various cellular processes.
- Plant sterols: Shilajit contains plant sterols such as beta-sitosterol & campesterol, which have been shown to have cholesterol-lowering effects & may also have anti-inflammatory properties.
What is Shilajit Used For?
Shilajit is a natural substance that is used for various health purposes. It has been traditionally used in Ayurvedic medicine as a general tonic to promote overall health & well-being. Some of the most common shilajit health benefits or shilajit use include:
1. Energy Booster: Shilajit is a powerful energy booster that can help to increase endurance & stamina. Athletes often use it to improve their performance, & people who must stay focused & alert throughout the day. It can also help reduce fatigue & increase mental alertness. Traditionally, sherpas use shilajit as a source of energy and nutrition during high-altitude mountaineering.
2. Anti-Aging Properties: Shilajit has been shown to have anti-aging properties that can help to improve skin health & reduce the signs of aging. It contains fulvic acid, which has been shown to help the body absorb & use nutrients more effectively.
3. Immune System Support: Shilajit is also believed to have immune system support properties. It contains several minerals & other essential nutrients for maintaining a healthy immune system.
4. Cognitive Function: Shilajit has improved cognitive function & brain health. It may help improve memory, focus, & concentration, making it a popular supplement for students & professionals.
5. Sexual Health: Shilajit is also believed to have aphrodisiac properties that can help to improve sexual health & function. It may help to increase libido & enhance erectile dysfunction.
6. Anti-inflammatory properties: Shilajit has been found to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce swelling & inflammation in the body. This makes it helpful in treating arthritis, rheumatism, & other inflammatory diseases—also, shilajit benefits for women who suffer from conditions such as arthritis or menstrual cramps.
7. Heart health: Shilajit has been found to improve heart health by reducing blood pressure, lowering cholesterol levels, & improving blood circulation. This can help reduce the risk of heart disease & stroke.
8. Diabetes: Shilajit has been found to have antidiabetic properties, which can help regulate blood sugar levels & improve insulin sensitivity. This can be helpful for people with type 2 diabetes.
9. Liver health: Shilajit can help protect the liver from damage caused by toxins & free radicals. It can also help improve liver function & reduce the risk of liver disease.
10. Skin health: Shilajit benefits females & males by helping improve skin health by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress. It also helps reduce the appearance of scars & blemishes.
Shilajit Health Benefits for Various Groups
Some of the potential benefits of shilajit for different groups of people:
1. Women: Shilajit can help improve fertility in women by regulating hormonal imbalances & improving overall reproductive health. It may also help alleviate menstrual pain & cramping.
2. Men: Shilajit has been found to improve testosterone levels in men, which can enhance libido, increase muscle mass, & improve overall sexual performance. It may also help improve sperm quality & fertility.
3. Children: Shilajit can benefit children as it contains essential minerals & vitamins that can help support healthy growth & development. It may also help boost their immune system & improve cognitive function.
4. Patients: Shilajit has been shown to have anti-inflammatory & antioxidant properties, making it a potential natural remedy for various health conditions such as arthritis, asthma, & diabetes. It also helps improve cardiovascular health & reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
5. Older adults: Shilajit may help improve energy levels, reduce fatigue, & enhance cognitive function, making it beneficial for older adults. It also helps improve bone density & minimize the risk of osteoporosis.
6. Athletes: Shilajit has been found to improve endurance, enhance muscle recovery, & reduce exercise-induced muscle damage, making it a popular supplement for athletes & active individuals.
Note: Consulting with a healthcare professional before using shilajit is important to ensure safety & efficacy for your specific situation.
How to Take Shilajit: A Guide
Shilajit is available in various forms, including capsules, powders, & resins. Here is a guide on how to take shilajit properly:
1. Start Slow: It is important to start with a small dose of shilajit & gradually increase the amount over time. This will help your body adjust to the supplement & reduce the risk of side effects.
2. Choose a Quality Product: Make sure to choose a high-quality shilajit product from a reputable supplier. Look for products that are made from pure shilajit & do not contain any fillers or additives.
3. Follow the Instructions: Always follow the instructions on the product label for dosage & usage instructions. Consult a healthcare professional if you need help taking shilajit for any specific condition.
4. Mixed with Water: The simplest way to take shilajit is to dissolve a pea-sized amount in a glass of warm water & drink it. You can consume this once or twice a day, preferably on an empty stomach.
5. Mixed with Milk: Shilajit can also be mixed with milk to make a nourishing & energizing drink. Simply add a pea-sized amount of shilajit to a cup of warm milk, stir well, & drink. You can add honey or other natural sweeteners to improve the taste.
6. Mixed with Tea: If you're a tea lover, you can add shilajit to your favorite tea blend. Simply dissolve a small amount of shilajit in your tea & enjoy the benefits.
7. Capsules or Tablets: Shilajit is also available in capsule or tablet form, which can be convenient for those who prefer a more standardized dosage. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for dosage & usage.
8. Topical Use: Shilajit can also be applied topically to the skin as a part of your skincare routine. You can mix a small amount of shilajit with a carrier oil like coconut oil & massage it into your skin.
How Long Does it Take for Shilajit to Work?
Various factors can influence the effectiveness of Shilajit and the time it takes to work. Some people may notice an immediate improvement in energy levels & cognitive function, while others may take several weeks or months to see results.
It is important to emphasize that Shilajit is not a "miracle" solution or a shortcut to wellness. Instead, it should be incorporated into a healthy lifestyle, which includes a balanced diet and consistent physical activity.
Safety Precautions & Side Effects of Shilajit Use
While shilajit is generally safe for consumption when taken in appropriate doses, it is important to note that it may not be suitable for everyone. Some of the safety precautions & side effect includes:
- Consult a healthcare professional before using shilajit if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a pre-existing medical condition.
- Shilajit should not be taken by children under the age of 12.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
- Make sure to purchase shilajit from a reputable source to ensure it is high quality & free from contaminants.
Side Effects of Shilajit Use:
There are also some potential side effects to be aware of. Shilajit is a potent substance & should not be taken in large amounts. Some of the potential shilajit side effects include:
1. Heavy metal toxicity: Shilajit can contain heavy metals such as lead & arsenic, which can be toxic in high doses.
2. Allergic reactions/sensitivities: Some people may be allergic to shilajit & experience rash, itching, or swelling symptoms.
3. Digestive issues: Shilajit can cause digestive issues such as diarrhea, stomach pain, or nausea in some people.
4. Blood sugar issues: Shilajit can lower blood sugar levels, which may be a problem for people with diabetes.
5. Pregnancy & breastfeeding: pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take Shilajit, as it can affect the developing fetus or baby.
6. Increased risk of bleeding: Shilajit can thin the blood, increasing the risk of bleeding. This can be a concern for people who are already taking blood-thinning medications.
If you experience any of these side effects, you should stop taking shilajit & consult with your healthcare provider.
Revitalize Your Body and Boost Stamina with NAMHYA Shilajit Resin
Boost your stamina & increase your energy levels naturally with NAMHYA Original Himalayan Shilajit Resin. This revitalizes cells & restores lost energy levels, making it safe for people of all ages to consume regularly. Its resins also enhance performance, increase strength & stamina, & help reduce fatigue, while Fulvic acid provides antibacterial & antiviral properties.
In addition, NAMHYA Shilajit Resin detoxifies your mind & equipping your body to deal with your lifestyle to help minimize muscle loss & body fat.
Simply dissolve a pea-sized amount in water or milk & enjoy the natural & Ayurveda energy boost!