There has been a lot of buzz around Omega 3 fatty acids in recent years. These are the essential nutrients that are not produced by the body and are obtained from food sources or supplements. Omega 3 plays an important role in maintaining optimal health by improving brain function, reducing inflammation, and promoting heart health. In this blog, we'll explore Omega 3-rich foods, their sources, benefits, and many more.
Understanding Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Before going deep into Omega-3 rich foods, let's understand what omega-3 fatty acids are and why they are so important for our health.
Omega 3 fatty acids are a special kind of polyunsaturated fats that out bodies are unable to produce on their own.There are mainly 3 types of Omega-3 acids i.e. Alpha-Linolenic acid (ALA) which is primarily found in plant sources, Eicosapentaenoic acid ( EPA), and Docosahexaenoic acid ( DHA). Both EPA and DHA are commonly found in sea foods.
Omega-3 Rich Foods
Some foods are known for their high levels of omega-3, making them easy choices when trying to add this healthy fat to your diet. Here are some Omega 3-rich foods or you can say rich sources of omega-3:
- Chia seeds - Chia seeds are also known as sabja seeds in India. These are small tiny black and white colored seeds that are a rich source of omega 3. In addition to that, they also contain fiber and proteins.
- Salmon - Salmon fish is rich in two types of Omega-3 fatty acids i.e. DHA and EPA. It is also known for its high omega-3 content.
- Flaxseeds - Flaxseeds are also called 'Alsi'. These are rich sources of omega-3 and contain alpha-linolenic (ALA) acids.
- Omega-3 nuts - Nuts like walnut, almonds, cashews, and pistachios are rich in omega-3 acids, particularly ALA.
- Mustard oil - Mustard oil is commonly used in Indian cooking and is high in omega 3, as well as other healthy fats.
Natural sources of Omega- 3
For those who prefer to consume omega 3, there are many natural sources of omega 3 foods available. Some of these include-
- Fatty fishes like Salmon, Tuna are one of the best natural sources of omega-3.
- Seeds like flax seeds ( Alsi ), chia seeds ( sabja seeds)
- Nuts like walnuts, almonds, and cashews.
- Vegetables like cauliflower, spinach, and broccoli.
These foods are the best natural source of omega-3.
Omega 3 foods for vegetarian
Omega-3 fatty acids are primarily found in animal-based products but don't worry there are still plenty of omega-3 foods for vegetarians. Some of these are-
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Soya products
India has a diverse range of foods options, that includes many foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids Some popular omega-3 rich foods in India are-
- Mustard oil
- Flaxseed or Also
- Chia seeds or Sabja seeds
- Fish like Rohu, Mahi and Rawas.
Apart from these options, some fruits are called omega-3 rich fruits. These are -
These fruits are a great source of Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which we have discussed above as a type of fatty acid. Incorporating these omega-3 rich fruits into your diet can help to increase omega 3 in your body.
How to Increase Omega 3
For those who are looking to increase omega-3 intake, there are various strategies that you can use. Incorporating omega-3 rich foods into your diet is a great place to start. Here are some practical tips that'll help you increase omega-3 consumption:
1. Have fatty fish in your diet - Fatty fish such as salmon, rohu, and rawas are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. If you're a non-vegetarian then try to include these fish varieties in your meals a few times a week. There are many ways to enjoy these fishes like grilled or baked.
2. Include Omega-3 nuts and seeds - Nuts and seeds are a pack of significant omega-3 and are also very convenient to have. Walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds are excellent foods that are rich in omega-3. You can use them in your salads, blend them into your smoothies or simply have a handful of them daily.
3. Take an omega 3 supplement - If you're struggling to add omega 3 rich foods into your daily routine then omega-3 supplements can be a good alternative. They are available in the form of fish oil or capsule. It provides a concentrated form of these fatty acids, but try to prefer fresh omega-3-rich foods in your diet instead of these supplements.
4. Use mustard oil for cooking - Mustard oil is a popular cooking oil, especially in many regions of India. From marination to sauteing, try to use mustard oil for cooking.
By implementing these practical tips you can easily increase your omega-3 intake and meet the daily standard levels.
Omega-3 Benefits in Hindi
Providing many health benefits, the importance of omega 3 cannot be emphasized enough. Some of the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids in Hindi are-
- सिरदर्द कम करता है (Reduces headaches)
- लंबे समय तक शरीर को ताकत देता है (Provides long-term strength to the body)
- हार्ट हेल्थ के लिए फायदेमंद होता है (Beneficial for heart health)
- मदद करता है नींद को बेहतर बनाने में (Helps to improve sleep quality)
Adding omega-3 rich foods into your diet can help to provide these benefits and more.
Omega-3 benefits for Women
Omega 3 fatty acids offer many advantages, especially for women's health. Let's understand the benefits that they provide:
- Reduces the risk of breast cancer - Studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids have shown potential in reducing the risk of breast cancer, a concern for many women. By adding omega-3-rich foods into your diet, you can take a step towards maintaining breast health.
- Helps in period pain and cramps - Omega-3 fatty acids have been found to have anti-inflammatory properties, which help to alleviate discomfort and provide relief during menstruation.
- Enhance Heart Health- Heart disease is a significant concern for women. Omega-3 plays an important role in reducing the risk of heart health. These fatty acids have been associated with improving cardiovascular health by reducing inflammation, supporting good cholesterol levels, and helping in maintaining blood pressure levels.
Women can experience the benefits and enhance their overall health by incorporating omega-3-rich foods into their diet such as fatty fish, nuts, seeds, and fruits.
Omega-3 in Almonds and Cashews: A Myth or Reality?
We all are now aware that omega-3 fatty acids are necessary for optimal brain function, hormonal balance, and heart health. Deficiency of this can lead to various health issues like depression or cardiovascular disease. Usually, non-vegetarian people are getting an adequate amount of omega-3 in their diet, but for vegetarian people options are there but are limited. One way to ensure an adequate amount of omega-3 intake, especially for vegetarians is by consuming omega-3-rich foods such as nuts. Almonds and cashews are two nuts that contain good amounts of omega-3.
Almonds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, providing about 170 mg of alpha-linolenic acid ( ALA) in a serving of 28-30 grams. This ALA is then converted into other forms of omega-3 like EPA and DHA in the body. Almonds are also a rich source of vitamin E that works parallel with omega 3 to protect against damage to the heart and brain. So adding almonds to your daily diet can contribute to your omega-3 intake.
On the other hand, cashews are also a source of omega 3 but are having less omega 3 than almonds. A 28-30 gram serving of cashews contains around 65 mg of ALA. But cashews are also rich in other nutrients such as copper, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6 which play a significant role in keeping the body healthy. They are also rich in fiber, heart-healthy fats, and plant proteins.
So now we got clarity about omega 3 presence in cashews and almonds. They both carry a good amount of omega 3 in them but vegetarians can also prefer to have other nuts like walnuts, seeds like chia, and flax seeds that'll help them with their omega 3 levels in the body.
Use Namhya Kashmiri Almonds - Your Daily Dose of Omega-3
Use Namhya Kashmiri Almonds for your daily dosage of omega-3. These almonds are a fantastic source of omega-3 and are packed with nutrients. Namhya Kashmiri Almonds are premium quality almonds that are directly procured from the farmers in Kashmir Valley. Namhya Kashmiri almonds support brain health, reduce inflammation, and support heart health.
These almonds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and zinc. Low in carbohydrates and high in fiber and protein, they also regulate blood sugar levels. A handful of Namhya Kashmiri Almonds is good to have for your daily omega-3 requirements. You can also soak almonds in water overnight or for a few hours before having them.
So what are you waiting for?
Go, grab your packet of Namhya Kashmiri Almonds today and let your body absorb the healthy nutrients for its healthy working.